¾ cup warm milk
2 x 7 g sachets active dried yeast
⅓ cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
3 ¼ cups plain flour, plus extra for dusting
250 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
Extra ¼ cup plain flour
1- 2 litres vegetable oil, for deep frying
1 portion of pastry cream (see below)
4 egg yolks
⅓ cup caster sugar in large bowl
¼ cup cornflour
1 ½ cups milk
1 cup caster sugar
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
2 - 2 ½ tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Whisk milk and yeast in large bowl. Whisk in sugar, eggs, vanilla and 1 cup of the flour until combined. Add remaining flour. Stir with a table knife until mixture starts to come together. Turn out onto a lightly floured bench. Using your hands, bring together and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Shape into a fat rectangle. Cover. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Beat butter in the small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in extra four.
- Place dough on a lightly floured bench. Roll out into a 30cm x 40cm rectangle. Spread evenly with butter mixture, leaving a 1cm border.
- Fold one short side over towards centre to cover one-third of the dough. Fold the opposite short side over to the other side. Place on a tray. Cover and refrigerate for 45 minutes. Return dough to bench. With one long edge facing you, roll out so short sides are 30cm in length and long sides are 40cm in length, about 1cm thick. Repeat process three more times, covering and refrigerating dough each time.
- To make cinnamon sugar, combine both ingredients in a bowl.
- Spoon pastry cream (see below for method) into a piping bag fitted with a ½ cm plain nozzle.
- To make glaze, sift icing sugar into medium bowl. Stir in enough milk to give a thin consistency. Stir in vanilla. Place into a separate piping bag fitted with a ½cm plain nozzle.
- Using an 8cm round cutter dipped in flour, cut out 12 rounds. Using a 3cm round cutter, dipped in flour, cut out holes from the centres. Reserve holes and dough scraps (see tips). Place wownuts on a lightly floured tray. Prove by standing them in a warm place for about 1 hour, 30 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Heat oil in deep-fryer (4-litre capacity) to 170C.
- Deep-fry wownuts in four batches, turning over occasionally for about 2½ minutes, or until golden brown. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Cool slightly.
- Using a skewer, make four holes, about ½cm wide, evenly spaced in the base of each wownut, about halfway through to the centre. Firmly pipe pastry cream into each hole.
- Carefully toss wownuts in cinnamon sugar. Pipe on glaze and serve.
- Whisk egg yolks and caster sugar in a large bowl. Whisk in cornflour. Bring 1½ cups milk to boil in large saucepan. Gradually whisk into egg mixture until combined. Return to same pan. Cook, whisking vigorously, over a medium heat until boiling and thickened. Transfer to large bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold. Whisk until smooth before placing in piping bag. Makes 2 cups.