This is a lovely and decadent cake that's perfect for weddings, birthdays or mother's day.
250 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
1 ½ cups caster sugar
1 Tbsp finely grated fresh lemon rind
4 free-range eggs, room temperature
1 cup milk
2 ⅔ cups self-raising flour
⅓ cup fresh passionfruit pulp
¼ cup lemon curd
mini meringues, to decorate
fresh flowers, to decorate
200 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
2 cups icing sugar mixture
2 Tbsp lemon curd
- Grease two 20cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar and rind in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. In two batches, fold in milk and sifted flour until combined. Fold in 2 tblsps of the passionfruit pulp. Divide between pans.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 40 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Remove. Stand cakes in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- To make frosting, beat the butter in the same clean bowl of electric mixer until pale. Beat in ½ cup sugar at a time, until combined. Beat in curd.
- Place one cake on a serving plate. Spread combined curd and remaining passionfruit pulp over top, leaving a 1cm border around edge. Place remaining cake on top. Spread frosting over top and side of cakes.
- Decorate top with whole meringues and flowers. Sprinkle crushed meringues around base.