5 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn
⅓ cup milk
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
30 g taco seasoning mix
500 g sausage mince
1 free-range egg, separated
½ cup finely chopped coriander
300 g chunky medium salsa
salt and pepper to taste
2 ½ sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Place bread in a large bowl with milk. Stand for 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add seasoning. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Cool.
- Add onion, mince, egg white, coriander and ¹/³ cup of the salsa to bread mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Cut an opening 6cm up from the tip of a new piping bag. Spoon mince mixture into piping bag. Twist top.
- Place pastry sheets on a clean, flat surface. Cut two whole sheets in half lengthways. Pipe the mixture down the long side of each piece. Roll up to enclose. Brush rolls with lightly beaten egg yolk.
- Cut each log diagonally into seven equal pieces. Place, seam-side down, on two oven trays lined with baking paper.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Remove from oven. Stand on trays for 5 minutes.
- Serve sausage rolls with remaining salsa.